Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Thief Alert / Warning 11-17-2009
Topic Rating: 1.4Topic Rating: 1.4Topic Rating: 1.4Topic Rating: 1.4Topic Rating: 1.4 Topic Rating: 1.4 (10 votes) 
December 7, 2010
8:41 pm
venice.mentor
Living in the hood & loving it when it's good!
Forum Posts: 341

As I understand, there is  a lot of fraud and that is a big problem as it can't seem to separate fact from fallecy.

"This year we also helped tens of thousands of Californians with disabilities fight discrimination, prevent abuse, obtain education, benefits and other services, and made sure that thousands more had opportunities to learn about their rights. Their stories show that even in challenging times, California can become a more barrier free and inclusive place to live." (http://www.disabilityrightsca……/index.htm)

Besides the fact we are situated where we are, we have may who arrive from over the border who make use of everything they can get a hold of. Let's face it, the system is in terrible need of repair but no one knows where we are going to start.

For-instance I personally know of several young women who are here illegally and who are pregnant.  (I am just using this example to illustrate a point and not to bash anyone – let me first make that clear)  Each one of these young women is receiving prenatal care from the state. I know for a fact that the went to welfare and they will be taken care of.  Once their babies are born, they will be able to stay here with their children. Where do you think the money is coming from?

People have educated themselves about rights, not responsibilities. 

Before you say we are "off track" from what the subject is, remember that it's ultimately all about money. Money we don't have. We can say, "Get that crazy person off the street and incarcerate them". Where do we send them? Where do they go?

December 7, 2010
8:43 pm
venice.mentor
Living in the hood & loving it when it's good!
Forum Posts: 341

"As I understand, there is  a lot of fraud and that is a big problem as it can't seem to separate fact from fallacy."  Sorry about that, I meant the California system, those in charge, can't seem to separate fact from fallacy – there are not enough in state government to that.

December 7, 2010
9:12 pm
Chessy Peake
Forum Posts: 1084

venice.mentor said:

[excerpted:] Once their babies are born, they will be able to stay here with their children. Where do you think the money is coming from?

People have educated themselves about rights, not responsibilities. 

Before you say we are "off track" from what the subject is, remember that it's ultimately all about money. Money we don't have. We can say, "Get that crazy person off the street and incarcerate them". Where do we send them? Where do they go?

Immigration is a another issue that makes a huge point I know a little bit about. Call me a commie, and I know this will not go over well on this site, but once a person is physically here, we have an ethical and arguably legal responsibility to provide them services equivalent to others, until they leave. It is ultimately the responsibility of the Feds to deal with the "coming and going" issue, and thay have failed miserably: happy to dump on California.

BUT, I lived in Maryland, DC and Delaware for a long time, 3 subdivisions you could almost fit into Los Angeles county. When the world was not as "flat", as in the Thomas Friedman concept of the word, huge California could be progressive and far ahead of other states in it's treatment of the disadvantaged and needy immigrant population, and that WAS a good thing to my opinion. In the new already shrunken "flat" world, it is absolutely not sustainable. In small states, they must keep benefits no better than other states in the region: it was too  easy to become a "welfare magnet" so to speak: so regional coordination was the rule. This was also true of tobacco taxes, sales taxes, drinking age, etc.: you could easily drive a short distance to avoid them.

Our country and world has shrunk and flattened drastically, (now its time to cheez off the left), we MUST coordinate our services "menu" to be in line with the other states in the west, northwest and intermountain west, and even to some extent Mexico, as they are our neighbors. Arizona figured this one out, not just with the controversial informing policies, but also with the thin social services menu. Small states are totally keyed into this fact, and California is learning a very tough lesson. My prediction: lots more pain to come. (sorry to be such a downer – err, realist).

December 7, 2010
10:50 pm
surfacerus
Forum Posts: 38

venice.mentor said:

For-instance I personally know of several young women who are here illegally and who are pregnant…Once their babies are born, they will be able to stay here with their children. Where do you think the money is coming from?

Even after giving birth, the women will still be illegal, and can be deported at any time. The child however, will be a citizen and can sponsor the parents green card when he/she turns 18.
All those in the room with telekinesis, raise my right hand
December 7, 2010
11:00 pm
aquaman
Forum Posts: 563

melliemel4444 said:

He showed up at my place tonight (Dec. 7th) claiming he lived in my neighbor's house. I called the cops. :(

As of tonight, Ken is still prowling our neighborhood.  Can we please try to keep this on topic?  Illegal immigration is a separate issue. 

Thanks.

December 10, 2010
1:42 pm
Bret
Venice
Admin
Forum Posts: 8421

Email from JS:

Hey Brett,

I live off AK, in late Sept we had a rash of roberries which led to a neighborhood mtg with local officers. At that time they suggested if done safely, we could email photos of suspicious ind + to definitely call those types of reports in as well.

In mid Nov, I start seeing a lot of this guy in the neighborhood. He's definitely not a resident.  A few days later I see the Ken post and, what do you know this is the same guy! I send the post with a note to Officer Thusing. And call into the non-emergency number when I noticed him aimlessly wandering the streets.

I received a reply from the Officer tonite. He was on parole and had a warrant out for his arrest, parole violation. He was arrested tonite.

Excellent work to you and everyone who commented on the post-in the forum.

I hope you will share this story, though I want to remain anoymous if you do. If people read about how the community created a success story they will be motivated to tell others and continue!

Thanks for keeping yovenice.com up to date!

Sincerely,

JS

December 10, 2010
1:58 pm
-
Forum Posts: 1201

Brilliant. Thanks Yo!

December 10, 2010
2:01 pm
zappaman
Forum Posts: 1859

Great!

"I solve problems. That's what I do for a living."
December 10, 2010
2:05 pm
Winston
Forum Posts: 18

So now thats the 2nd time in about a year that Ken has been arrested for a parole violation. Hopefully he goes away for awhile, I had a number of encounters with him.

December 10, 2010
4:45 pm
bythec
Forum Posts: 766

Yay!

March 12, 2012
12:24 pm
happy
Forum Posts: 1

He's back -

Saw him walking today with a couple of his buddies corner of S. Venice and Ocean Ave.

March 29, 2012
2:47 pm
leebs
Forum Posts: 14

yep, he's back in the neighborhood. Ken. Last saw him around French Market. Let's do hope he's changed,

like Bret mentioned. :)

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog

Currently Online:
40 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 32

Members: 19675

Moderators: 2

Admins: 7

Forum Stats:

Groups: 8

Forums: 37

Topics: 8662

Newest Members: bybtqg2

Moderators: ModBot (9), CanalsAdjacent (0)

Administrators: Bret (8421), EmilGH (108), eric (244), Mick (279), Brenton (5), Parimal Rohit (0), Corina Mun (0)