A A A

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Shuttered: Quicksilver’s 585 Boardriders Venice Beach
Read the original blog post
Topic Rating: 3.3Topic Rating: 3.3Topic Rating: 3.3Topic Rating: 3.3Topic Rating: 3.3 Topic Rating: 3.3 (26 votes) 
November 9, 2012
9:23 am
Bret
Venice
Admin
Forum Posts: 8421

shantyirish said

At one point Rosendahl wanted to make that place a homeless shelter, wonder if they'll propose that again?

From what I was told, they have 2 years remaining on the lease and have sublet the space already. I wasn't able to find out who the subletter is.

November 9, 2012
9:56 am
jonf
Venice
Forum Posts: 492

SaltWater said
I'm being objective here. I didn't actually say that I do not like those stores and I was quite clear about how great many of those brands are.

They don't bother me and quite frankly I find their existence somewhat amusing. With few exceptions I see them as a laughable waste of space and since the lifespan of a lot of those stores is pretty short I can surmise that I'm not alone. 

But since you do like them so much please accept my condolences in the closing of your beloved 585 Boredriders. 

When you said, "what gets me," I took that to mean it bothers you.  Not sure what you did mean by it.

I've never been in 585 Boardriders (and I think I've been in one of the stores that you listed).  I just think it's a bit amusing how much people seem to care about what others do with their businesses here in Venice.  A lot of complaining about chain stores, branded stores, Google taking space, stores that are too expensive, restaurants that charge more than $10 for breakfast, restaurants that are popular with people from other parts of the city, blah, blah, blah...   Maybe some of the complainers here should open their own store or restaurant in town instead of complaining about why they don't like the ones somebody actually takes a shot with.

November 9, 2012
10:21 am
Venice Rob
Forum Posts: 1464

Putting a homeless shelter next to AK, just goes to show you the sound business sense of Rosendahl. This might have been one of Bill's many epiphanies while he was smoking his special blend of medical marijuana. Bill, next time you have an Epiphany, do the residents a favor and order a pizza like the rest of us.

November 11, 2012
3:35 pm
rjs
Forum Posts: 32

its always been about backing the local shops anyways.

And in Venice, this is one of them.[just in case u didnt know]

http://www.veniceoriginals.com/

kinda bummed qs leaving and that other shop is moving.

BUt i've never been in either so its not like i'm gonna miss 'em.

November 12, 2012
5:20 pm
stevo
Forum Posts: 124

That will make a fine shelter! 

January 9, 2013
12:17 pm
Bret
Venice
Admin
Forum Posts: 8421

From the OC Register:

Bob McKnight, co-founder of Huntington Beach-based surf brand Quiksilver, will step down as CEO and is being replaced by a former Disney and Nike executive, the company announced Thursday.

Andy Mooney, who most recently served as chairman of Disney Consumer products, takes over as president and CEO starting Jan. 11. McKnight will continue to serve as executive chairman.

"It's very exciting for the company, and for me personally. It's been a long time in the works, I've been thinking about it for about a year," McKnight said in a phone interview Thursday.

"It's been a long time coming, and now that's it's actually happening, I think everyone is thrilled. They think it's the right thing for the company to bring in someone new to run the joint. I'm really proud of what we've done and excited for where we are headed."

Before his 11 years at Disney, Mooney spent two decades at Nike serving as chief marketing officer, founder of Nike's equipment business and general manager of Nike's global apparel business. The Scotland native, 57, lives in the Hollywood Hills.

"It couldn't be a better fit," Mooney said. "There was a perfect match between my experience and the opportunity here. Quiksilver is clearly a brand that has a high emotional quotient, and really has some runway for growth."

January 9, 2013
4:02 pm
cch
Forum Posts: 590

Walked by the place on Venice today. There was an armed guard pacing the parking lot with folding barriers on the driveway entrances.

January 9, 2013
4:07 pm
not native
Forum Posts: 1925

cch said
Walked by the place on Venice today. There was an armed guard pacing the parking lot with folding barriers on the driveway entrances.

TV shoot or weed shop. 50/50 chance of either.

Irony, it's what's for breakfast.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog

Currently Online: deweyville
42 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 32

Members: 19952

Moderators: 2

Admins: 8

Forum Stats:

Groups: 8

Forums: 37

Topics: 8819

Newest Members: Sienna58Pwzovi

Moderators: ModBot: 11, CanalsAdjacent: 0

Administrators: Bret: 8421, EmilGH: 108, eric: 263, Mick: 281, Brenton: 18, Parimal Rohit: 12, Corina Mun: 5, Yo Venice Staff: 87