A A A

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Proposed Zip Line for Venice Beach Moves to Front After 175-Foot Ferris Wheel Plan Stalls
Topic Rating: 4.4Topic Rating: 4.4Topic Rating: 4.4Topic Rating: 4.4Topic Rating: 4.4 Topic Rating: 4.4 (9 votes) 
April 20, 2012
8:17 pm
deweyville
Forum Posts: 284

Anyone read about this new gimmick to raise money for Venice?

The plans for a 175-foot tall "Great Observation Wheel" on Windward Plaza needs more vetting, but a proposal to install a zip line that will let people fly over Venice Beach as early as this summer will be presented to the community, Los Angeles City Councilman Bill Rosendahl said Friday.

Rosendahl said he has instructed his staff to work with the Department of Recreation and Parks on the zip line proposal after it became clear that a United Kingdom company's plans for a giant Ferris wheel on Venice Beach needed more vetting.

A zip line would provide another additional element of fun and excitement, Rosendahl said, and could generate revenue this summer to help the city maintain restrooms and garbage cans on Venice Beach, which attracts roughly 16 million visitors a year.

Rosendahl said that he has asked Venice Neighborhood Council President Linda Lucks to put the zip line proposal on the board's May 15 meeting agenda to see how the community feels about it.

"It's two towers and wire across it and they say you fly like a bird," Rosendahl said. "It's a simple enough concept and easy enough to put on."

Rosendahl said he was worried about having basic funds for restroom cleanups and garbage collection on Venice Beach given the

April 20, 2012
9:12 pm
Mick
Admin
Forum Posts: 282

Something like this ?:

http://www.newsherald.com/arti.....gives.html

http://www.wmbb.com/story/1704.....g-breakers

It's a 55 foot tower at one end, and 25 at the other.

April 21, 2012
7:06 am
Ms. Venice
Forum Posts: 497

good point about the strong winds stopping 3/4 of the way down, but it looks fun.

Love your bike.
April 21, 2012
7:31 am
SaltWater
In the here and now
Forum Posts: 1802

A zip line would provide another additional element of fun and excitement, Rosendahl said, and could generate revenue this summer to help the city maintain restrooms and garbage cans on Venice Beach, which attracts roughly 16 million visitors a year.
Here's an idea to raise revenue- institute a special tax zone in Venice. Raise sales tax an additional 1 cent on all sales on businesses from Washington to Marine between Pacific and OFW. Also, put a 100% tax on the med MJ dispensaries.
"It's two towers and wire across it and they say you fly like a bird," Rosendahl said. 
Fly like a bird? Not so much unless you're a douche-bird.

I'm salty and that's what keeps me spicy ©

April 21, 2012
8:24 am
road_biker
Forum Posts: 319

Saltwater has some good income-generating ideas.

Institute a comprehensive parking plan for Venice and the boardwalk. Permit parking for residents, charge guests. If there really are 16 million visitors per year, this should raise a lot of revenue. Right now, they are parking for free and clogging up our streets.

April 21, 2012
8:38 am
tired of the disrespect
Forum Posts: 1182

A zip line on the sand does not seem very appealing.  Gimme some rainforest and a waterfall:  MG_0084.MOV
2717K   Download  

April 21, 2012
8:53 am
venicerez
Forum Posts: 886

tired of the disrespect said
A zip line on the sand does not seem very appealing.  Gimme some rainforest and a waterfall:  MG_0084.MOV
2717K   Download  

I agree, but if the price is right I think people would do it when visiting. I'm just not into having it as a permanent fixture - I like the 2 - 3 months they claimed they put their line up for. Also liked the discount for locals mid-week ;-p.

April 21, 2012
10:13 am
Venice Vortex
Forum Posts: 260

I hope that Venice also gets bumper cars, merry go round and a roller coaster.  That would make Venice really cool.

April 21, 2012
11:04 am
Shane
Forum Posts: 2158

How about a free, one-way zip line that sends Rosendahl and his merry band of idiots and crusties  over to Dockweiler Beach.

April 21, 2012
11:49 am
deweyville
Forum Posts: 284

Nothing like cluttering up the beach, one of our free natural resources, with a zip line attached two clunky bases.  And do you really think it will every come down if it makes money for the city?

April 21, 2012
1:43 pm
zappaman
Forum Posts: 1861

Shane said
How about a free, one-way zip line that sends Rosendahl and his merry band of idiots and crusties  over to Dockweiler Beach.

I am willing to contribute to that!

"I solve problems. That's what I do for a living."
April 21, 2012
2:09 pm
bythec
Forum Posts: 768

Vortex, we already have bumper cars!

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog

Currently Online: Shane, Triangle Resident
34 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 32

Members: 20041

Moderators: 2

Admins: 9

Forum Stats:

Groups: 8

Forums: 37

Topics: 8894

Newest Members: AdolfoUAXT

Moderators: ModBot: 11, CanalsAdjacent: 0

Administrators: Bret: 8421, EmilGH: 108, eric: 264, Mick: 282, Brenton: 19, Parimal Rohit: 12, Corina Mun: 5, Yo Venice Staff: 142, Evan Hazlett: 0