A A A

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Picture: 2012-14 Venice Neighborhood Council
Read the original blog post
Topic Rating: 4Topic Rating: 4Topic Rating: 4Topic Rating: 4Topic Rating: 4 Topic Rating: 4 (17 votes) 
November 27, 2012
9:58 pm
Bret
Venice
Admin
Forum Posts: 8421

Venice Neighborhood Council

Thanks in advance for helping our community!

November 27, 2012
11:55 pm
rickgarvey
Horizon between Main and Riviera
Yo! Venice! Sustainer
Forum Posts: 624

Seems like a lot less diversity among our representative body than the recent map posted showed us to be...

but good luck guys, I wish you the best!

Sometimes we live no particular way but our own

November 28, 2012
7:48 am
SaltWater
In the here and now
Forum Posts: 1802

All the kings horses and all the kings men...

rickgarvey said
Seems like a lot less diversity among our representative body than the recent map posted showed us to be...

Less diverse, in what way?

I'm salty and that's what keeps me spicy ©

November 28, 2012
9:55 am
Shane
Forum Posts: 2146

Meh!

November 28, 2012
10:00 am
Venice Canal
Forum Posts: 247

How many actual Venice residents showed up for this meeting in compare to how many homeless and non-residents? I hope you had the Fabreez and some cookies ready for that meeting.

PS Rick, you are right, no black, lesbian woman on wheelchair is part of this group so we must be doing something wrong!

November 28, 2012
10:04 am
LifeInVenice
Oakwood
Forum Posts: 112

rickgarvey said

When the President doesn't even live/work full time/own a business in the community (as far as I understand), and voting "stakeholders" are largely self-identified, it makes actual representation a moot point. But maybe there should be a better recruitment for reps from Oakwood next time, and better get out the vote, assuming the relative paucity of people of color is what you're referring to.

November 28, 2012
10:36 am
Ms. Venice
Forum Posts: 491

LifeInVenice said

rickgarvey said

When the President doesn't even live/work full time/own a business in the community (as far as I understand), and voting "stakeholders" are largely self-identified, it makes actual representation a moot point. But maybe there should be a better recruitment for reps from Oakwood next time, and better get out the vote, assuming the relative paucity of people of color is what you're referring to.

I hope that in moving forward that outreach for Our Neighborhood Council be done within the community, to stakeholders that actualy live here rather than to potential business stakeholders, it seems that the most recent outreach efforts have been focused on turning us into Silicon Beach, that type of outreach should be left to the Chamber of Commerce.

Love your bike.
November 28, 2012
4:18 pm
Venice WatchDawg
NoRo
Forum Posts: 1302

I hope that in moving forward that outreach for Our Neighborhood Council be done within the community, to stakeholders that actualy live here rather than to potential business stakeholders, it seems that the most recent outreach efforts have been focused on turning us into Silicon Beach, that type of outreach should be left to the Chamber of Commerce.

It is not as much about promoting "Silicon Beach" as it will be in controlling the affects of this new influx of business. The Venice Chamber of Commerce is more about hotels and tourism than business development.  Another problem is that Venice is a part of the City of Los Angeles and anything from downtown trumps the Venice locals every time.

I do not know many of the people who are on the new Board but am encouraged by the mix - There are two local restaurant owners, an Oakwood youth leader, and a number of just plain concerned residents.  These people pretty much reflect the makeup of what Venice is today. In fact, Lady Linda may be the only oldtimer....  Not like the last election and the large proportion of hand-picked, lock-stepped, social service supporters...  Give this group a chance...  

November 28, 2012
5:36 pm
venicerez
Forum Posts: 879

Venice WatchDawg said

Give this group a chance...  

Fingers are crossed.

November 28, 2012
7:33 pm
GLADITSKRAVITZ
Forum Posts: 182

What we need the most at these meetings is a video camera. Everyone intrested could access on line, unedited, just the facts.Who said what, how they voted, that is the outreach we should demand!

November 28, 2012
8:37 pm
lucaspeter
Forum Posts: 3

having sat through most of the meeting last night--i am not optimistic.

November 28, 2012
9:52 pm
Venice Rob
Forum Posts: 1462

venicerez said

Venice WatchDawg said

Give this group a chance...  

Fingers are crossed.

I was at the meeting, you can uncross your fingers.

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog

Currently Online:
36 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 32

Members: 19898

Moderators: 2

Admins: 8

Forum Stats:

Groups: 8

Forums: 37

Topics: 8808

Newest Members: EdmundoConroy

Moderators: ModBot: 11, CanalsAdjacent: 0

Administrators: Bret: 8421, EmilGH: 108, eric: 263, Mick: 281, Brenton: 18, Parimal Rohit: 12, Corina Mun: 5, Yo Venice Staff: 77