Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Boycott 220 Fitness on Main
Topic Rating: 3.4Topic Rating: 3.4Topic Rating: 3.4Topic Rating: 3.4Topic Rating: 3.4 Topic Rating: 3.4 (193 votes) 
January 9, 2013
11:48 pm
Pat
Venice
Forum Posts: 76

Some info re printrint is the ideal communications medium and a powerful marketing tool. But because it has been around for so long, print often gets lost in the enthusiasm for newer options, such as online and social media channels. Yet, after all is said and done, print is still the prime communication and promotional vehicle. Why? Because of its unique characteristics: Print is durable, portable, credible, universal, beautiful and works well with other media. Most important, print works.

Print is Effective
Studies show that print not only gets read (a whopping 79% of households read or scan the advertising mail they receive),[1] it also drives both new and repeat business. In fact, 39% of customers try a business for the first time because of direct mail advertising, while 70% of customers renew a business relationship because of a direct mail promotion.[2]

Print Provides a High ROI
A Direct Marketing Association study showed that direct mail advertising gives businesses, on average, a remarkable 13 to 1 return on their investment ("ROI"). The high ROI holds up across all industries. For example, printed catalogs have been shown to provide a 7 to 1 ROI[3] and the lowest cost per lead/order, ahead of inserts, email, and postcards.[4] In fact, a study conducted for the Art Technology Group found that 60% of consumers surveyed make purchases via printed catalogs at least four times each year.[5]

Shoppers Prefer Print
Shoppers across all ages say that print—not digital—sources most influences their store and shopping decisions: 69% of shoppers rely weekly on newspapers, and 67% rely weekly on direct mail for sales and product information. These numbers are even higher among younger, and more digitally savvy, shoppers who also prefer weekly direct mail (92%) and newspapers (91%) as the most significant information channels.[6]

The facts cannot be ignored: Print builds brand identification and powers sales. It's no wonder print media is still the workhorse of successful marketing and advertising campaigns.

January 9, 2013
11:56 pm
Bret
Venice
Admin
Forum Posts: 8421

Pat said
Some info re printrint is the ideal communications medium and a powerful marketing tool. But because it has been around for so long, print often gets lost in the enthusiasm for newer options, such as online and social media channels. Yet, after all is said and done, print is still the prime communication and promotional vehicle. Why? Because of its unique characteristics: Print is durable, portable, credible, universal, beautiful and works well with other media. Most important, print works.

Print is Effective
Studies show that print not only gets read (a whopping 79% of households read or scan the advertising mail they receive),[1] it also drives both new and repeat business. In fact, 39% of customers try a business for the first time because of direct mail advertising, while 70% of customers renew a business relationship because of a direct mail promotion.[2]

Print Provides a High ROI
A Direct Marketing Association study showed that direct mail advertising gives businesses, on average, a remarkable 13 to 1 return on their investment ("ROI"). The high ROI holds up across all industries. For example, printed catalogs have been shown to provide a 7 to 1 ROI[3] and the lowest cost per lead/order, ahead of inserts, email, and postcards.[4] In fact, a study conducted for the Art Technology Group found that 60% of consumers surveyed make purchases via printed catalogs at least four times each year.[5]

Shoppers Prefer Print
Shoppers across all ages say that print—not digital—sources most influences their store and shopping decisions: 69% of shoppers rely weekly on newspapers, and 67% rely weekly on direct mail for sales and product information. These numbers are even higher among younger, and more digitally savvy, shoppers who also prefer weekly direct mail (92%) and newspapers (91%) as the most significant information channels.[6]

The facts cannot be ignored: Print builds brand identification and powers sales. It's no wonder print media is still the workhorse of successful marketing and advertising campaigns.

chooseprint.org (the source you quote) is a bit biased, no? 

This is high-larious:

Choose Print was launched in January 2011 as an educational campaign to promote the effectiveness and environmental credentials of print on paper. Why? To address misinformation about print, popularized in statements as “print kills trees”, “print is less effective than electronic media,” and so forth.

Besides the information on this website, the Choose Print campaign includes printed brochures, direct mail pieces with QR codes linking to YouTube videos, social media, newswire articles, vehicle wraps, and participation in national trade shows (e.g., HOW Design Conference and Graph Expo).

The "pro-print" lobby sends out mailers with QR codes to ONLINE YouTube videos telling people to use PRINT. They BRAG that they print 17,000 postcards they send out that link to YouTube, an online site, to make their point.

Paying to send a postcard to 17k people that then have to use an internet enabled device to scan the QR code to see what they are trying to tell you about "print" is .. I mean .. they are so far gone they don't even get that joke. They could email that link to millions for free if they didn't stubbornly have to print it – and thus not ask their "friends" to get out a cel phone to scan a postcard to "read" their point. That really is silly.

I don't use telephone books anymore, for what it is worth … and printed news is always 9 or so hours old to me … so …

Once again, I grew up with print. I like print. I also liked working in the darkroom when I was in 7th grade. I have some really awesome film cameras – haven't touched them in 10 years since I got my first Nikon DSLR.

Print needs to look at the iPad and such devices and say "oh, I can argue 35mm is better … but my days are numbered". Period.

Once again, this is not some kind of promotion for the "YoVenice business model" that I laid out here. I'm just talking theory.

January 10, 2013
9:03 am
concernedneighbor
Forum Posts: 437

Pat – you are a dinosaur. Print is dead. I feel bad for people (like you?) who are still selling a dead medium. Pass along rates are the biggest joke on the planet.  Newspapers died 5 years ago. Magazines are still sexy and viable for niche audiences but way too expensive (did you notice Newsweek published it's last ever print edition last month?).  Direct mail is vile and disgusting – total waste of paper (and yes it does kill trees) – violates your privacy 20x more than any online site ever would – and crams your mailbox with CRAP.  There's so much crap in the mailbox every day that there is no way that any piece of direct mail can be effective. The only saving grace for direct mail is that it's keeping the post office in business.  That brings me to door hangers – the scourge of the earth.  Nothing screams laziness and desperation more than door hangers. Yes – they may affect my neighborhood more than others. Yes – there are more important things happening in the world.  But they are a personal pet peeve of mine and I will continue to call these business out here on Yo! and do whatever I can to make this marketing 'tactic' illegal.  Have a nice day…

'...and you sir are no Sonny Zorro!' -AnotherWorldView
January 10, 2013
11:06 am
jonf
Venice
Forum Posts: 492

It's not a print versus online issue. 

Newspaper ads don't litter the streets.  Direct mail, while perhaps annoying, doesn't litter the streets.

220 could claim ignorance of any problem when they used this tactic previously.  However, they've continued to use this method of advertising despite knowing about the problems associated with it.  That demonstrates that they're concerned only with their bottom line and not with the community they supposedly serve.

January 10, 2013
11:28 am
Venice Rob
Forum Posts: 1419

Urinals are a good place to advertise. When you look straight ahead you alway want to read something. 

January 10, 2013
10:37 pm
Pat
Venice
Forum Posts: 76

Concerned and Bret you seem to be missing the point and also viewing the world from your own spectrum while not realizing that other folks are diiffernet.

1. I have an Americsn Express card and get at the least one direct mail piece a week from these folks. Do you think they are are just sending these out without tracking the results and seeing that this program pays off And do they not know that their selling emails are either blocked or deleted by most folks.

2. Unless you are both vegans are you concerned about when you eat a hamburger or some chicken product that a cow or chicken has died. Of  course we are all aware that if not for our eating habits those cows or chickens would not have existed in the first place.Well guys it is the same with trees these days. They are being raised as renewable crops, actually more planted than used FYI, so ok you are killing a tree, cow, chicken, but these are all things that wouldn't have had life at all without our  human usage.

3. Just because your preference is to find everything on line does not mean that that approach appeals to everyone. Some of us spend all our working hours staring at a computer screen and like the downtime to puruse print matter, listen to radio, just anything other than staring at a screen that makes us feel like we are forever at work.

4. Advertising cannot be just a one avenue approach as humans respond differently to various approaches and need to be contacted in various ways. A lot of us have things that block all advertising on our emails, others just automatically delete emails without even reading them, so sometimes other apporaches are appropriate.

I am surprised that both of you are so rigid in your responses and unaware of how other people might need other avenues or additional avnues than online to get them interested in a product or service that they have not been aware of.

One of you accused me of being a dinosaur, but I find your reaction more aged and rigid than mine. We are certainly in a very new age of contacting and informing people but that does not always mean that all that was done previously should be forgotten. Sometimes these different avenues to approach people can be compilmentary.

January 11, 2013
10:33 am
concernedneighbor

Pat – are you really selling the merits of JUNK MAIL???  Get a life – and a new job…

January 11, 2013
11:22 am
Venice_Surfer
Forum Posts: 288

One of you accused me of being a dinosaur, but I find your reaction more aged and rigid than mine. We are certainly in a very new age of contacting and informing people but that does not always mean that all that was done previously should be forgotten. Sometimes these different avenues to approach people can be complimentary 

Pat- Yes and some people still listen to Vinyl,rent DVD's forms Block buster, look up phone numbers in the yellow pages, etc. weak argument.

Consider the target audience. People who work-out at hip boutique gym's. Does this sound like the type of people who read newspapers and look for deals from flyers stuffed in the door?  It's time to exercise the brain.

January 12, 2013
10:16 am
jonf
Venice

Why the personal attacks?

January 25, 2013
3:09 pm
concernedneighbor

Well Mateo from 220 Fitness is at it again.  It's even more fun to have his litter-tising blow all over the streets and sidewalks in the rain – that way they stick to the ground even longer!  This time I called again to ask him personally to rethink this litter tactic and he told me that it's not illegal and he will continue doing it as long as his business is open.  He also made some personal threats which should be fun as well.  Thanks for being a great neighbor Mateo…

1-25-2013 3-00-04 PM

January 25, 2013
3:14 pm
not native
Forum Posts: 1905

This time I called again to ask him personally to rethink this litter tactic and he told me that it's not illegal and he will continue doing it as long as his business is open. 

I hear that may not be all that much longer.

Irony, it's what's for breakfast.

January 26, 2013
7:39 am
jonf
Venice

concernedneighbor said
Well Mateo from 220 Fitness is at it again.  It's even more fun to have his litter-tising blow all over the streets and sidewalks in the rain – that way they stick to the ground even longer!  This time I called again to ask him personally to rethink this litter tactic and he told me that it's not illegal and he will continue doing it as long as his business is open.  He also made some personal threats which should be fun as well.  Thanks for being a great neighbor Mateo…

So much for him supposedly being sorry and wanting to work toward a positive solution, huh?

I just learned of an affiliate of 220 who provides services there and at one other gym.  I'll be working with them at the other gym and let them know exactly why I have no interest in supporting 220 in any way.

(anybody see the Seinfeld episode where Kramer has had it with Pottery Barn catalogs and other junk mail?  maybe we should adopt his tactic of dumping the 220 flyers back at their gym ;) )

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog

Currently Online: marlamoss
34 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 32

Members: 19668

Moderators: 2

Admins: 4

Forum Stats:

Groups: 8

Forums: 37

Topics: 8650

Newest Members: marlamoss

Moderators: ModBot (9), CanalsAdjacent (0)

Administrators: Bret (8421), EmilGH (108), eric (238), Mick (279)