A A A

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Minimum search word length is 4 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
Boycott 220 Fitness on Main
Topic Rating: 3.4Topic Rating: 3.4Topic Rating: 3.4Topic Rating: 3.4Topic Rating: 3.4 Topic Rating: 3.4 (193 votes) 
January 5, 2013
10:34 am
concernedneighbor
Forum Posts: 438

Pat said
""As a business owner I am pretty much stunned by a lot of what I see here...Give new businesses or existing businesses and kooky buinesses some room here to reach us and see what works for them and stop whining.

Hey Pat - How about F YOU!  It's not one guy promoting one business and putting something on my door that's a problem.  It's 5 guys every day throwing flyers on every doorstep in the neighborhood that blow all over the streets and sidewalks for weeks.  It's litter.  If you can't find a better way to promote your business than littering than you don't deserve to be in business.  There are hundreds of guerrilla tactics far more effective that don't trash the neighborhood.  (Here's 122 examples  - http://www.creativeguerrillama.....-examples/ ).  Door hangers SCREAM of desperation!!!

Bret...

1. Thanks for posting the muni code.  How exactly is this enforced?  Who do we call?

2. It's extremely annoying that I have to post an ugly sign on my door so that I don't get blasted with trash!  Maybe we can have a Yo! design contest for non-ugly 'No Advertising' signs...

3.  I have called, emailed, and stopped in dozens of times to discuss this with the folks at 220.  I tried for 6 months before posting my initial Boycott message.  The management could not be more rude (Matteo seems like a decent guy but the management staff at the gym are a bunch of A holes).  Posting here and on Yelp is the only thing that gets their attention.

Finally - both LA Urban Fitness and the Check Cashing/We Buy Gold place on Lincoln have topped Matteo this week by putting flyers on cars on rose which I'm almost positive is Illegal and a Fine-able offense...

'...and you sir are no Sonny Zorro!' -AnotherWorldView
January 6, 2013
9:06 am
John Obrien
Forum Posts: 130

This isn't rocket surgery. I am a handyman. I wanted to distribute flyers around my neighborhood to promote my services. I walked the area and recorded the addresses of homes that I thought would be good prospects. And then I went down and bought some stamps, and MAILED them first class, instead of stuffing what is essentially litter into their gates and yards. It's just basic respect for your fellow human beings.

Frankly, I will be going to even more passive ways to market myself in the future - people are so sick of every kind of "push" marketing that you stigmatize yourself by engaging in even the most civilized forms of it. Another situation where abusers have burned something down that was once useful and legitimate.

January 6, 2013
11:08 am
jonf
Venice
Forum Posts: 492

This isn't rocket surgery. I am a handyman. I wanted to distribute flyers around my neighborhood to promote my services. I walked the area and recorded the addresses of homes that I thought would be good prospects. And then I went down and bought some stamps, and MAILED them first class, instead of stuffing what is essentially litter into their gates and yards. It's just basic respect for your fellow human beings. Frankly, I will be going to even more passive ways to market myself in the future - people are so sick of every kind of "push" marketing that you stigmatize yourself by engaging in even the most civilized forms of it. Another situation where abusers have burned something down that was once useful and legitimate.  

John: Love to hear about showing basic respect rather than trying to justify littering because it costs less.  I don't need any handyman work right now, but I'd like to have your contact info for future reference.

January 6, 2013
12:03 pm
John Obrien

jonf said
This isn't rocket surgery. I am a handyman. I wanted to distribute flyers around my neighborhood to promote my services. I walked the area and recorded the addresses of homes that I thought would be good prospects. And then I went down and bought some stamps, and MAILED them first class, instead of stuffing what is essentially litter into their gates and yards. It's just basic respect for your fellow human beings. Frankly, I will be going to even more passive ways to market myself in the future - people are so sick of every kind of "push" marketing that you stigmatize yourself by engaging in even the most civilized forms of it. Another situation where abusers have burned something down that was once useful and legitimate.  

John: Love to hear about showing basic respect rather than trying to justify littering because it costs less.  I don't need any handyman work right now, but I'd like to have your contact info for future reference.

That's very kind of you to say, but a lot of this is just common sense, and my pointing it out hardly requires any genius on my part. It wasn't my intention to promote myself here, but I can always use work. My Email is jso2897@yahoo.com. What I do is fairly limited - small jobs only, local only, and if a job warrants a specialized, licensed contractor, I point the client that way.

Thank again for your kind words.

Thanks again for your kind words.

January 6, 2013
2:03 pm
SaltWater
In the here and now
Forum Posts: 1802

John Obrien said
This isn't rocket surgery...

Nor is it brain science!

~That's funny, rocket surgery. I'm going to steal that one. Thanks.

I'm salty and that's what keeps me spicy ©

January 6, 2013
5:40 pm
jonf
Venice
Forum Posts: 492

John Obrien said

jonf said

That's very kind of you to say, but a lot of this is just common sense, and my pointing it out hardly requires any genius on my part. It wasn't my intention to promote myself here, but I can always use work. My Email is jso2897@yahoo.com. What I do is fairly limited - small jobs only, local only, and if a job warrants a specialized, licensed contractor, I point the client that way.

Thank again for your kind words.

Thanks again for your kind words.

It should be common sense, yes, but clearly it isn't.  thanks for posting the info -- when I occasionally want something done I usually wind up forgetting about it because I don't want to deal with finding somebody, so this is good.

January 6, 2013
8:11 pm
John Obrien

SaltWater said

John Obrien said
This isn't rocket surgery...

Nor is it brain science!

~That's funny, rocket surgery. I'm going to steal that one. Thanks.

Fair enough, since I stole it myself. :D

January 8, 2013
10:05 am
Venice_Surfer
Forum Posts: 307

Found some 220 fitness brochures on the ground in front of my door yesterday and a bunch more blowing down the sidewalk. Nice work 220 fitness.

This is the message from the community......a CLEAN and safe Venice...try to follow along and incorporate it into your marketing plan.

No brains, no headaches!

January 9, 2013
10:01 pm
Pat
Venice
Forum Posts: 76

Understand how the handyman can do individual marketing. Not sure how a fitness place can go door to door and do the same, wait until someone comes out and see if they are fat and flabby?

OK it does sound like whoever this fitness place is using to distribute this stuff is pretty lax but still not sure why everyone is so up in arms about a new business trying to get the word out the only way they can figure it out. Hopefully they will hear your concerns and get a new company to distribute rather than one that just litters.

You suggest an ad on Yo and that might help, but sorry sometimes the written word and something concrete in hand gets the message across better. And USPS is not as cost effective as just distributing these fliers in the neighborhood.

I would rather spend my time worring about other, more pressing issues in the neighborhood. And hey in the nation and world as well.

It also sounds as though some areas are more impacted than am I. I have very few of these flyers in my neck of the woods, and when I do I take a look and if not interested put them in the trash. And don't see them littered on my street so it may be a different result in different areas, don't know

January 9, 2013
10:34 pm
Bret
Venice
Admin
Forum Posts: 8421

Pat said

You suggest an ad on Yo and that might help, but sorry sometimes the written word and something concrete in hand gets the message across better. And USPS is not as cost effective as just distributing these fliers in the neighborhood.

In Yo! Venice's defense (to your assertion that "written word" is better): this is a news / event / lifestyle website. A lot of people look at it multiple times a week, if not every day. That "written word" may get seen once for a minute on the way to the trash, ads here are "always on" ... people may not click on them, but in the back of their head when they go to shop, dine or pick a local service ... seeing the ad continuously does leave it fresh in mind .. long term engagement is a better ad tool than "put it where they have to see it, and maybe they will come to like us on the way to the trash".

As far as advertising in "print" ... when you do, you get 1/8th, 1/4, 1/2 or a full page maybe. Two pages if you are really "making a statement". On this website, the ads are fixed and are on more than 3,000 pages ... can't beat that.

I LOVE print, but beyond coffee table books, it is pretty much dead. Big waste of paper.

January 9, 2013
10:58 pm
Pat
Venice
Forum Posts: 76

Bret I get your message but disagree. There are lots of folks out there and they respond to different approaches, or often respond to multiple approaches. Not everyone is on Yo.

Plus some folks get more from an offer for a special if it is written rather just on line which they may blow right through. Advertising needs to be done on a lot of levels, print, web, email, etc. to reach the total audience and to repeat the message.

Print is not dead. Actually there are a lot of statistics that prove that targeted mailing is more productive and gets better results than a lot of advertising on the web. Just depends on your audience and what you are selling. FYI when print is done well people SAVE it!

Your response is re what you are involved in web vs. newspaper ads. But print is done in mailings, catalogs, etc. Actually a lot of companies started thinking they could just sell on the web and then sequed into catalogs when they realized, duh, colors are not accurate on most people's computers so they actually need to SEE something that encourages them to buy. Plus, having that catalog hang around on their desk, etc. is ongoing advertising.

A multiple approach is the best.

January 9, 2013
11:40 pm
Bret
Venice
Admin
Forum Posts: 8421

Pat said

Your response is re what you are involved in web vs. newspaper ads.

Kinda, but not really.

Yo! Venice! is a really bad example to use ... this site was not started to make money.

There was no daily news here in Venice when this was started in 2007, and a lot was going on. I had some down time from my normal job as did my friend Keri. This site was really just started as a community service.

For the first three years, the site had no ads on it - not even Google ads. Even in 2011, there were only a couple of ads (3? 4?) on the site from people that asked to advertise ... I never solicited any advertising for the site.

2012 was the first time we made an "ad package" or a business card; my friend Barbara went around to a few businesses to see what was up ... 2013 I've decided to give advertising a push for real - if businesses are receptive I'll keep doing the site - if they aren't ... who knows. I'd like to be able to hire more writers and free up some of my time for other interests.

Anyway .. yeah .. I study theory about a lot of stuff ... advertising included ... but I am not making my points based on any financial concern regarding this website ... most of what I read does not support what you put forth, but .. ya know .. studies are all relative.

Agreed that a multiple approach is the best, if the business can afford it. I know that people read this site in bed, at the car wash on cel phones, in the bathroom, in the car ... fliers are never going to get that kind of attention of "eyeballs".

Forum Timezone: America/Los_Angeles

Most Users Ever Online: wp_sferrorlog

Currently Online: Shane
41 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 32

Members: 20031

Moderators: 2

Admins: 9

Forum Stats:

Groups: 8

Forums: 37

Topics: 8861

Newest Members: GudrunDaecher

Moderators: ModBot: 11, CanalsAdjacent: 0

Administrators: Bret: 8421, EmilGH: 108, eric: 264, Mick: 282, Brenton: 18, Parimal Rohit: 12, Corina Mun: 5, Yo Venice Staff: 116, Evan Hazlett: 0